Sunday, February 28

Straight Talk - For effective communication

Decide to be a straight shooter. Tackle and attack issues!



I was in a management meeting on Thursday that we call the Core Team. The Core Team is composed of the four Vice-Presidents involved in the Program, the integration manager, the program manager and myself.

As this is only my third Core meeting since my arrival, I started to dig in the issue log to see that most of the 15 issues remaining were opened last year! We spent the 60 minutes of the meeting basically not making any decisions and just NOT doing the right thing. I came out of the meeting so discouraged as I was trying to understand why decisions were not being taken in that group. The goal in this forum is supposed to be a decision making group! So - I got out of the meeting and asked myself what the 'ironic' smiles I observed in the room meant and why?

I never accepted to work in such an atmosphere so I decided that I should talk to the main VP about my perception. I had to tell the execs that they were to be in big trouble if they could not put an effective decision making process in place. For a large program of that sort, making quick and right decisions are critical!

My approach has always been to be honest with myself and with others, so I really thought that I had NOTHING to loose to talk to the senior VP on the situation. I understand that being transparent after not even 2 weeks can be really not well perceived - - -but I really did not care as I really thought that those meetings were not going anywhere anyway... We always have to pick the right battles and I thought that this one was very important.

So the next day, I asked the VP to organize a call with a director, him and myself to work on another issue. Lucky me!!! while we were waiting for the director to join us for the meeting, he asked me : ''So How do you like it so far?''

This was my lucky day! I did not have to break the ice, I responded spontaneously: ''EXCELLENT, I like the company size, I like working with a national team and really like the complexity that it brings... On that point, even thought I do not have all the understanding of the company's politics and complexity, I think that decision making will be one of our biggest challenge moving forward''

He looked at me for at least 2-3 seconds, he looked surprised but clearly got my point - it felt like finally someone was telling him what it is. He said ''Hmmm, interesting, you know what : I really want us to sit down together and talk about it, I want to hear your recommendations, it is true and we need help in that matter.''

Oh boy, let me tell you that it felt good to know that my message passed through - - - most important is that he acknowledged and wanted me to help him taking action! I was lucky but at the end of the day I gave my shot and tried to deliver a message.

After all, it is for their own good! WE NEED TO SPEAK OUR MINDS!!!

OPEN MIND TALKING SHOWS THAT YOU MIND ABOUT THEM!!!!!!!!

No comments: